Volunteer Coordinator, Emergency Shelter NKY
The volunteer coordinator helps the shelter more fully serve guests by finding volunteers to perform essential tasks, work on large and/or special projects and most importantly provide shelter guests with positive social interactions with community members. Basic duties will include recruitment, screening, training, scheduling and monitoring volunteers (individual and groups). Administrative duties will include tracking volunteer hours, writing job descriptions, soliciting volunteer feedback and working with the Operations Manager to determine the shelter’s volunteer needs. Forward-facing duties will include responding to volunteer inquiries (email and in-person), meeting and orienting volunteers to shelter, greeting volunteers when they arrive for shifts or deliver meals, helping direct the work of volunteer groups and managing annual recogniation and award program.
The Volunteer Coordinator helps engage the community to advance the shelter’s mission to provide adults experiencing homelessness with a safe, nonjudgmental place where they may meet their basic needs and work to obtain greater housing stability. A primary goal for this position is to increase the number of volunteers in shelter.
- Promptly respond to volunteer inquiries.
- Identify volunteer opportunities. Conduct targeted recruitment campaigns for opportunities which require special skills or training. This includes recruiting volunteers to serve during weather emergencies.
- Suggest volunteer policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Create job descriptions for all volunteer opportunities to use for recruitment purposes.
- Orient and provide ongoing training and support to volunteers.
- Solicit volunteer feedback monthly; use this information to improve the program as appropriate.
- Manage the online meal donor calendar, including set up, advertising and donor follow up. Strive to fill all meal donor slots.
- As schedule permits, greet meal donors and volunteers when they arrive for their shifts, helping them feel welcome and valued. Serve as point of contact for assistance or troubleshooting.
- Direct the work of volunteer groups when they are in shelter.
- Work with ESNKY staff so they are prepared to welcome, direct and recognize volunteers when you are not available.
- Plan and organize annual volunteer appreciation event.
- Participate in community outreach activities as needed.
- Use donor management system to track volunteer hours. Prepare reports as requested.
- Other administrative and management duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in communications or related field from an accredited school or high school diploma/GED equivalent with at least 2 years of related experience.
- Experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Priority given to those candidates with a history of volunteerism.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills which focus on customer service.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment requiring lots of social interaction.
- Ability to exercise discretion and make independent decisions aligned with ESNKY vision & values of trust, respect, and dignity of everyone that walks in our doors.
- Comfortable speaking to large groups.
- Ability to attend offsite events to recruit volunteers.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365, Teams, especially Excel or related data systems. Experience with Little Green Light donor management system a plus.
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries with a diverse population with many needs and backgrounds.
Physical Requirements (time spent performing requirements %)
- Must be able to lift 20+ lbs.
- Walking including bending and twisting– 60%
- Sitting – 40%
- Work on computer several hours a day
Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time, non-exempt position with a salary range of $18-18.50 per hour. Benefits will include paid time off for vacation and illness, 8 paid holidays per year, mileage reimbursement for work-related travel and cell phone reimbursement. Preference will be given to individuals who have qualifications beyond the minimum.
Application Process: Interested candidates should submit a current resume reflecting educational and work experience to Ruslyn Case-Compton, Office Manager at email@example.com . References will be requested as part of the employment application.
Emergency Shelter of Northern Kentucky is an equal opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to gender, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.