Staff Accountant, Mental Health America
Are you tired of long hours? Are you looking for that work/life balance? Are you looking for flexible hours with NO evenings or weekends?
Mental Health America of Northern Ky and Southwest Oh has an immediate opening for a Staff Accountant. The ideal candidate will be responsible for financial operations of the agency including all aspects of preparing and processing payables and receivables. Position will work with executive level staff to prepare the agency and program budgets and provide budget reports as required; manage contracts and vendors; manage payroll; and manage the annual external audit. Ultimately, the position will work closely with the Executive Director and leadership team to ensure strong financial position.
Minimum Required: BA/BS in accounting or finance required, CPA preferred. 5 years’ experience in finance field; Experience with using Quickbooks.
Preferred: CPA preferred; ideally results driven with non-profit experience and good understanding of the industry.
Additional Considerations: extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) with demonstrated work experience, demonstrated experience, comfort and skill in organizing and presenting financial information in understandable format, demonstrated experience working with financial software applications, demonstrated experience in managing operations.
Duties & Responsibilities/Time Percentage Allocated for Performance:
- Responsible for invoice processing functions of the agency by performing the following functions: maintenance of vendors in accounting system, preparing invoices for payment, printing of checks, obtaining authorized signatures and mailing payments to vendors. Follows up with vendors on price quotes, equipment, discrepancies on invoices, etc. (30%)
- Maintains and processes payroll information for employees including managing the time card approval process, importing time and verifying the payroll grid, interacting with payroll company representative regarding payroll updates and payroll processing, and posting of payroll journal entries into the accounting system. Works with the Executive Leadership Cabinet to determine salary proration and monitor for strong financial performance. (10%)
- Processes Simple IRA for payment. (2%)
- Prepares monthly financial statements, journal entries, and bank reconciliations. (10%)
- Prepares and presents monthly cash flow projections and develops financial strategies that interpret operating results as they affect the financial aspects of the agency. Presents recommendations for cost reductions and/or profit improvement and cash management. (10%)
- Collaborates with the Executive Director and Executive Leadership Cabinet in developing the agency’s annual operating budget using input from agency personnel and funding sources. Prepares individual program budgets. Shares monthly program budget with appropriate staff. (10%)
- Oversee the agency’s investment accounts, including the posting of transactions to record dividends and unrealized/realized gain/losses. (1%)
- Prepares financial reports required by funding sources. Ensures compliance with government contracts related to financial report submission and billing. Works to make sure support/revenue is maximized up to the awarded funding levels for all contracts. Responsible for copying all grant documentation for billing. Maintains volunteer hours based on information provided by agency personnel (for audit purposes). (15%)
- Prepares for and serves as the lead for all internal and external audits. (5%)
- Works with key personnel to manage asset inventory. (2%)
- Participates in Executive Leadership Cabinet Meetings. (2%)
- Works cooperatively and respectfully with all agency programs, co-workers, volunteers, clients, community members and funders. (1%)
- Assists with other duties as assigned. (2%)