Resource Development and Communications Manager
The Resource Development and Communications Manager is a skilled storyteller with the energy and creativity to take WAVE Foundation’s development and communication efforts to the next level. The Manager takes the lead on our cultivating and stewarding individual donors and businesses, and is responsible for ensuring effective communications both internally and externally. They work closely with and actively assist the Executive Director and other staff members to implement the annual fundraising plan and assure timely cultivation, solicitation, follow-up, and tracking of new and current prospects and donors. The Manager must be personable, creative, flexible, and highly organized, with excellent development, computer, writing, administrative, communication skills, innately positive, self-motivated, and has a strong desire to make a difference for our aquatic world! They report directly to the Executive Director.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- All aspects of website: including content, hosting, SEO, plugin updates, security, domain names, and monitoring performance.
- Create original social media posts as determined by communications plan and as needed. Review communications materials and social media posts generated by other staff members. Engage with social media audience.
- Coordinate materials, design and delivery of annual reports, monthly newsletters, appeals, press releases, event promotions, and other publications in collaboration with WAVE and Newport Aquarium Staff.
- Collaborate with Newport Aquarium staff to design and distribute various promotional pieces both in print and digitally for programs and fundraising throughout the year.
- Work with staff to develop new and creative ways to reach out to potential clients, donors, partners, community members, etc.
- With other staff, work community outreach events, keeping display board updated and relevant to each event.
- Interpret and disseminate all organizational survey results.
- Maintain database to process donor gifts and thank you letters in a timely fashion.
- Steward existing and develop new loyal individual donors.
- Steward existing and develop new corporate donors.
- Manage fundraising event planning: including event marketing and outreach, sponsorships and in-kind donations for annual events. Events include Crop for Conservation, Putt for Penguins, Nauti Nite, Volunteer Appreciation, River Sweep, and others as determined. Survey event attendees.
- Collaborate with Executive Director to craft fundraising appeals, edit mailing lists, and organize delivery.
- Work with Office Manager as needed to maintain timing and accuracy of pledges and donations.
- Complete bi-monthly Resource Development & Communications report for the Board of Directors.
- Ensure that grant reporting is done in a timely and accurate manner, working with program staff and Executive Director
Administration (approximately 5%)
- Attend biweekly staff meetings and 1:1 with Executive Director.
- Attend meetings with Newport Aquarium Staff as needed, serve as an ambassador for WAVE on Newport Aquarium Committees as needed.
- Opportunity to become trained as an Animal Handler to be able to share our Animal Ambassadors with the public.
- Other Duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and five years related experience, or equivalent combination of certification and experience. Knowledge of zoo and aquarium industry is a plus..
- Proven ability to secure donations of all sizes including annual gifts, monthly donors, major gifts, DAF & planned giving, capital gifts, in kind, business/corporate.
- Natural writer with ability to weave several themes into a master narrative. Grant writing and reporting experience a plus.
- Must be able to work collaboratively as part of a small team.
- Ability to write, edit, and proofread written materials for use with donor solicitations, member communications, and special events, providing effective messages.
- Experience using various online social media platforms, including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram, as well as social media management platforms.
- Experience with website management.
- Attention to detail, ability to organize, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Strong knowledge and proficiency with software. Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress, Constant Contact, Jotform, Survey Monkey, GiveSmart and Donor Perfect a plus.
- All Team members share administrative responsibility for the organization, assume new and emerging responsibilities as the organization evolves, and engage in learning opportunities to share new information and knowledge that can help inform the future of the organization.
- Successful completion of background check
- Immunocompetence (possible exposure to infections and parasitic disease)
Just as the aquatic world encompasses a vast spectrum of diversity, WAVE Foundation is committed to celebrating the individual differences that make us unique. We are committed to practicing the values of diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion to better fulfill our mission to excite, engage, and educate about the wonders of aquatic life. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, LGBTQ+ people, and others who are members of marginalized communities. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do.