Executive Director (part-time)
The role of the Executive Director is to oversee the administration, programs, deliverables, execution of mission, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key responsibilities include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Summer Work Experience in Law, Inc. (SWEL) is looking for a part-time Executive Director. SWEL’s vision is to be the best decision-development program for African American students and others interested in the legal profession. Our mission is to help primarily African American students make an informed decision when it comes to entering law school and the legal profession. SWEL sets the stage for each student’s own self-discovery by exposing them to the inherent opportunities and challenges of practicing law through summer work experiences, coaching, and networking.
Job Purpose: The role of the Executive Director is to oversee the administration, programs, deliverables, execution of mission, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key responsibilities include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
- Serve as the lead advocate for SWEL, including the scholars, employers, donors, and other organization stakeholders
- Report to and work closely with the Board to implement the annual business plan and assist in developing and executing a strategic plan to meet organizational goals and objectives
- Communicate effectively with the Board in a timely and accurate manner, including providing all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions
- Oversee and run the annual summer program
- Oversee and implement an annual fundraising plan and develop other revenue resources necessary to support SWEL’s mission
- Create and manage annual budget and monthly financial statements that accurately reflect SWEL’s financial condition
- Manage annual tax prep, audit processes, and ensure SWEL is compliant with all non-profit regulations
- Create and implement a marketing/communication plan
- Report to and work closely with the Board to establish organization-wide employment and administrative policies and procedures, including functions essential to the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit
- Serve as SWEL’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public
- Other duties as assigned by the Board
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Ability and passion to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Five or more years of non-profit management experience as a transparent, high-integrity leader
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong oral and written communication and teamwork skills with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Proven successful fundraising experience including knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector
- Strong time management, prioritization, multitasking, and organizational skills with the ability to see projects to timely completion
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers
- Experienced problem-solver who approaches issues in a calm, creative, and positive way
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and video-conference software (including Zoom, WebEx, etc.)
The position is part-time (20-25 hours/week) with competitive salary compensation; no benefits provided. Minimal travel required. Fully remote position with the exception of Board meetings and summer program responsibilities (early May – early August). To learn more about SWEL, please visit our website. Qualified candidates should send their cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SWEL, Inc. is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that seeks to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. We encourage applicants from all genders, races, religions, ages and sexual orientations, as well as veterans, people living with disabilities, and any other groups who could bring diverse perspectives to our mission.