Controller, Cooperative for Education
We are seeking a skilled and detail-oriented Controller to join our non-profit
organization. As the Controller, you will be responsible for overseeing the financial
operations, accounting processes, and reporting functions. Your expertise in financial management,
compliance, and analytical abilities will play a vital role in supporting the organization’s mission to
break the cycle of poverty in Guatemala through education.
- Financial Management and Reporting:
- Oversee all financial transactions, ensuring accuracy, timeliness, and compliance with accounting principles and non-profit regulations.
- Prepare and analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, and provide comprehensive reports to the executive team and Board of Directors.
- Monitor the organization's financial performance and identify trends, variances, and areas for improvement.
- Manage donor, foundation, and grant budgeting and reporting, receivables tracking, and donor receipt processes in conjunction with the development team.
- Budgeting and Forecasting:
- Collaborate with department heads to develop and manage annual budgets, ensuring alignment with the organization's strategic goals.
- Monitor budget performance regularly, providing insights and recommendations to address deviations from the budget.
- Financial Compliance and Internal Controls:
- Ensure compliance with all relevant accounting standards, non-profit regulations, and legal requirements.
- Establish and maintain strong internal controls to safeguard assets and prevent fraud.
- Coordinate external audits and provide necessary documentation and support to auditors.
- Cash Flow Management:
- Manage the organization's cash flow, ensuring sufficient funds are available to meet operational needs and obligations.
- Optimize cash management strategies, including short-term investments and working capital management.
- Accounting Operations:
- Oversee day-to-day accounting operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and general ledger activities.
- Review and approve journal entries, reconciliations, and financial transactions.
- Financial Analysis and Decision Support:
- Conduct financial analysis to support strategic decision-making, such as investment opportunities, cost-saving initiatives, and capital projects.
- Collaborate with the executive team to evaluate the financial viability of new programs or initiatives.
- Benefits Management:
- Work with outside advisors to facilitate the organization’s benefits packages related to group health insurance, retirement plans, and other benefits plans.
- Act as liaison to team members to ensure understanding of benefits.
- Team Leadership and Development:
- Lead, mentor, and develop the accounting team, fostering a culture of professionalism, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
- Operate day-to-day in an accounting environment that includes two systems from two countries in two languages (United States and Guatemala).
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field. A Master's degree or CPA qualification is preferred.
- Proven experience (typically 5+ years) as a Controller or a senior financial management role, preferably in the non-profit or education sector.
- In-depth knowledge of non-profit accounting principles, regulations, and compliance requirements.
- Strong financial analysis skills and the ability to interpret complex financial data.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving abilities, with a keen eye for detail.
- Proficiency in financial software and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with accounting and HR software, such as QuickBooks, Paycor and Concur a plus.
- Strong leadership and communication skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders.
- Spanish proficiency, a plus.
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Employer HSA contribution (based on type of insurance selected)
- 401(k) plan
- Flex time
- 4 weeks Paid Time Off (PTO) and 10 observed paid holidays
This position is based in our Cincinnati, Ohio office starting in October 2023. This office currently operates with a hybrid in-person and remote schedule.
How to Apply: Please apply through our website at coeduc.org/careers with resume and cover letter. No phone calls, please.