Green Umbrella the Greater Cincinnati regional sustainability alliance is hiring a full-time Communications Coordinator.
Green Umbrella is seeking a Communications Coordinator to work collaboratively with our team to provide shared services that enable the organization to execute its programs. This role will report to our Operations Director and help expand Green Umbrella’s capacity to share the activities and outcomes of all its programs with stakeholders and the community.
The Communications Coordinator will be a primary point of contact for Green Umbrella’s program teams and will ensure the promotion of their events & GU member initiatives across our organization’s channels & website. This early-career position is both technical and creative and requires extreme attention to detail and the ability to manage many moving parts across numerous platforms. The ideal applicant for this role will be excited to track & research sustainability-related news and events happening throughout our 10-county region & have a genuine interest in promoting such efforts on an ongoing basis. This role is heavily geared toward digital marketing and content production and prioritizes day-to-day management of social media channels and e-newsletters.
About Green Umbrella: Green Umbrella leads collaboration, incubates ideas and catalyzes solutions that create a resilient, sustainable region for all. We envision a vibrant community where sustainability is woven into our ways of life. Our systems-level work improves the health of our region’s people, climate and landscape. We do this by convening cross-sector collaborations that work to effect policy, systems and environment change.
Content Creation – 30%
- Daily copywriting & design of social media assets across platforms in partnership with Communications Intern
- Attend program events to take photographs and/or video for social media, marketing, and other promotional material
- Oversee preparation & design of digital and print advertising assets
- Oversight of file & image metadata, licensing, and drive organization related to content. Opportunity to build the taxonomy, metadata, and file naming conventions for creative and marketing team.
- Maintain Green Umbrella and program brand identities, with opportunities to strategically increase brand recognition & enhance brand visual guidelines
Social Media Management – 30%
- Daily posting and engagement management across 4+ Green Umbrella-owned social media channels
- Assist in strategy and content drafting for program-related social media channels (ex. Common Orchard Project Instagram)
- Suggest potential opportunities for improvement related to social media posting & tracking processes, including adoption of management & tracking platforms
- Manage organization and daily maintenance of content calendar (currently in Airtable)
Website & Newsletter Administration – 25%
- Weekly website updates and management of Green Umbrella online events calendar, Green Jobs Board, Volunteer Opportunities page, etc.
- Assistance in writing, formatting, and sending of Green Umbrella emails, including Green News, event invitations and reminders & follow-ups, and quarterly program newsletters (estimated 2-3 emails per week minimum)
- Oversight of Green News email inbox- managed daily by Communications Intern- including monitoring and replies & translation of emails to event calendar & Green News
- Assist in management and maintenance of email listserv & contact databases
- Manage organization and daily maintenance of editorial calendar (currently in Airtable)
Metrics & Analytics – 15%
- Quarterly tracking of communications metrics across website, newsletters, social media, and media mentions
- Creation of quarterly metrics reports
- Assistance in data analyzation and related communications strategy recommendations
In order to be successful in this role, we believe the ideal candidate will have the following characteristics and experience:
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in a similar role supporting a marketing or communications team in content-heavy, task-oriented position
- Previous day-to-day coordination of social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook & Instagram/Meta Business Suite, LinkedIn
- Humble (in it for others/mission), hungry (strong work ethic, always ready to contribute), and smart (understand people and how to interact with them).
- Interest in researching, tracking, and promoting hundreds of regional sustainability news articles & events annually
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, including the ability to manage and sort heavy email inbox load
- Ability to distill complex ideas into accessible written and visual products
- Excellent at prioritizing a variety of tasks and managing time
- Commitment to mission and values of Green Umbrella
- Organized and willing to become an expert at Asana & Airtable project management
Please mention in your cover letter if you have specific experience, skills, or interest in any of the following:
- Graphic design—to create banners, visual content for social media, print pieces, event invitations, designed reports, etc. including experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Bridge, Lightroom and/or Photoshop) and/or Canva
- Working with Newsletter software, such as Mailchimp, CheetahMail, EveryAction, Constant Contact, or others
- Photo/video content creation/production and/or editing, digital asset project management
- Google Analytics, Google Ads, and/or SEO
Salary & Benefits
- Annual salary of $40,000-55,000
- Thirteen paid holidays annually
- Twelve vacation days in first year of employment (increases with tenure at organization)
- Accrual of ten sick days annually
- Flex-time policy for overtime hours, flexible work schedule
- Health Insurance: 100% of health insurance premium cost for full-time employees is covered (no wait period), 25% of spouse/family health insurance is covered
- Parental Bonding Leave (after 1 year of employment) of up to 4 weeks PTO
Submit (as one PDF attachment) a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two professional references by 5:00 pm June 16, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Address cover letter to Erin Rothfuss, Operations Director. No phone calls please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Optional: If you have an existing content portfolio of any kind (including graphic design, photography and/or videography), please feel free to include in your application. This is not required to apply. Please limit attachments to 8mb. Links also permitted.
GREEN UMBRELLA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND VALUES DIVERSITY AT ALL LEVELS OF ITS WORKFORCE. We are committed to making sure our applicant pool is diverse and reserve the right to extend the application period or seek additional candidates if it is not.