Children’s Services Worker (Intake, Non-Field–Day Hours)
Back To Listings
Children’s Services Worker (Intake, Non-Field–Day Hours)
Job and Family Services
This is a critical role that directly impacts the outcomes of the children and families whom we serve. This role may be a good fit if you excel in interpersonal communication, problem-solving, and enjoy a fast-paced work environment.
Children’s Services Worker Part-time (Intake Worker – Day Hours) (3740-12) – 4 vacancies
Are you interested in serving our community and helping to protect our county’s most vulnerable children? At Hamilton County Children’s Services, this is what we do every day. We are looking for compassionate, tenacious workers who are dedicated to engaging families and ensuring that children are safe.
This position includes evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. You will support children and families by taking incoming calls from the public and agencies reporting suspected child maltreatment. You respectfully and thoroughly complete an intake assessment regarding all relevant aspects of the report. You will be responding in the field, based on priority of the report and mandated time frames. Your calm demeanor, active listening skills, and clear and professional communication will be an asset in this position.
This is a critical role that directly impacts the outcomes of the children and families whom we serve. This role may be a good fit if you excel in interpersonal communication, problem-solving, and enjoy a fast-paced work environment. This position provides:
- Hybrid work schedule
- Culture promoting growth and learning
- Free and close downtown parking for office days
We look forward to learning more about you and your passion for this work! Please see the full job description below.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: until filled
WORK LOCATION: Job & Family Services 222 E. Central Parkway Cincinnati, OH 45202
WORK HOURS: Part-Time (20 hours weekly) Potential for Hybrid Remote Work Schedule
STARTING SALARY: $20.99 hourly
(This position receives an additional 5% Pay Differential on top of the hourly rate)
NOTE: Applicants for positions with Hamilton County Job and Family Services are subject to background screening in accordance with the document: "Offenses that May Disqualify Candidates for Employment." Convictions from this list may disqualify a candidate for employment with HCJFS.
Applicants for Children’s Services positions cannot provide foster care for children in the custody of Hamilton County.
REQUIREMENTS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION):
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work (or Human Services related)
- or Master's degree in Social Work (or Human Services related)
- Must have a car, valid driver’s license issued by the state of residency, and required auto liability insurance.
- Must have cell phone availability during working hours (Cell phone stipend eligible)
JOB DUTIES (SUMMARY):
- Completes intake assessment of reports alleging child maltreatment by telephone, written report and/or face to face contact. Collects from reporter’s sufficient information regarding the alleged maltreatment, surrounding circumstances, adult and child functioning, parenting practices and discipline. Utilizes interpersonal skills to professionally and respectfully engage each caller in sharing behaviorally-specific and detailed information. Responsible for information collection through hospitals and law enforcement, in accordance with Children’s Services MOU, to complete an assessment of child safety. Completes intake assessments on reports of elder abuse and/or neglect by telephone, written report and/or face to face contact.
- Researches previous agency history, criminal history, court involvement and other applicable information providing a comprehensive summary for all individuals associated with report. Maintain written documentation of assessment activities.
- Clinically evaluates information obtained creating a screening recommendation by identifying the presence or absence of Present or Impending Danger threats or alleged maltreatment and/or a need for agency involvement. Review presence or absence of safety threat(s) in consultation with Intake Supervisor
- Attends conferences and training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (*Indicates can be developed after employment)
- Knowledge of: ORC/OAC as relevant to Children’s Services Practice, Intake & Screening Policy and Procedure*; office practices and procedures; agency policies and procedures; government structure and process;* interviewing; child welfare practices and procedures; safety decision making.
- Skill In: Strength based approach when engaging children and families; interpretation and application of training, instructional and procedural materials; professionally handling crisis and stressful situations.
- Ability to: Professionally and respectfully communicate, analyze and draw conclusion from informed information collection, understand manuals and verbal instructions technical in nature; prepare meaningful, concise and accurate written reports; handle sensitive inquiries from and contacts with officials and general public; maintain confidentially, work cooperatively with other agency staff and supervisors.
ESSENTIAL JOB FACTORS:
- Must undergo a background check via the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCI). Must have a car, valid driver’s license issued by the state of residency and required auto liability insurance.
PHYSICAL and/or MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Lift and carry children, child car seats, and/or infant carrier;
- Frequently walk to and from court;
- Frequently climbing and descending stairs;
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time;
- Frequently stooping, bending, crouching;
- Frequently lift and carry large case files and occasionally push a cart containing case files.
HAZARDOUS and/or WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Potentially hazardous/dangerous situations which could involve upset/violent clients
- Animals or insects in family homes
- This position requires some tasks that must be completed in the HCJFS offices, in court, or in the field; it is not eligible for full-time telework.
BACKGROUND CHECKS REQUIRED:
Background checks consistent with requirements in OAC 5101:2-5-09 must be completed at employment and every ten years following, including but not limited to the following systems:
- State Automated Child Welfare Information System (SACWIS)
- State Child/Abuse Neglect Central Registry Check for any state in which the applicant resided within the last five years
- Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification Investigation (BCI)
- National Sex Offender Public website (WWW.NSOPW.Gov) Code 5101:2-5-09 must be conducted for each prospective employee
Email Address for Resume Submission